Sunday, April 21, 2013

Blog Post #13

Ted Talks: Brian Crosby

I moderately enjoyed this video of Mr. Crosby talking about the projects and expansion of learning he and his class have done. It was fairly creative to use blogging and other technology to promote the children's self-awareness, expand vocabulary, and set themselves apart as active learners. I think the most interesting part was that I felt compelled to be an active learner with these inventive science projects! If that is the case with a twenty-something year old who's in college, what's to say it wouldn't interest any ages below my own? In other words,  it's universally meant to promote an active learner. Nice job, Mr. Crosby!


BozemanScience.com

Paul Anderson did a post along the same line as Brian Crosby in the sense that they both are re-thinking the flipped classroom, which means they technologically advance their classrooms. He expands on material of his chosen profession (science) and talks about how the flip has applied to his classroom.

In my opinion, this isn't anything new or exciting. This (with the exception of video and computerized testing) has been around for a long time. I'm not just ho-humming on Mr. Anderson, because I know he's on TedTalks and I've seen his videos, but there wasn't enough of a significant change, in my opinion. He's got them on computers looking into questions, reading, and taking quizzes, but I think it turned out to be a little less engaging (by that I mean getting them up and experiencing science the way he experiences learning when he's going on trips etc. didn't happen) 

"Qu.I.V.E.R.S" has been around in some shape or form for a little while, but hey, one small change in his program might be the biggest change in someone's learning experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment